July 24, 2009

"Public Enemies"

After the exams slacking around the house and splitting my free time between Japanese and my shadow priest is not as productive as would one expect so I better try to get things here back on track. But enough about me, "Public Enemies" is a good start for this batch of updates.
I usually try to keep the reviews short and snappy so I will say it at the beginning: I got a little disappointed. Maybe this is what you get for letting the hipe-wave reach you. The trailer and Johnny Depp's participation made me expect something breathtaking. Well, the movie isn't bad, on the contrary it is awesome but not that awesome...
The presentation was really fabulous. They have captured the sandy gold and the tarnished silver of the times of the Great Depression. Time and Life are slow and sluggish with John Dillinger (Johnny Depp)'s gang being the storm breaking the monotonity. I really felt like I was watching that era. The aspect of how the FBI is established is also presented nicely although Melvin Purvis (Christian Bale) 's quiet ruthlessness is not as epic as some ending lines accounted it to be. For those the movie is a must see on big screen. I felt I can touch the walls wrapped in tacky wallpapers, the cars, the old woolen overcoats... The story is also classy gangster story... Then what is wrong. Well, they try to make the story too sad and heavy, and to me they overdid it. Instead of suspence and incoming dread I got slightly bored and found myself waiting for the inevitable and somewhat disappointing ending.

No comments:

Archive